Meet (遇见) by Stephanie Sun (孙燕姿)
The title of this song in Chinese is simply ‘meet’ or ‘meeting’. The singer, Stephanie Sun, is originally from Singapore, and she’s popular all over the Chinese speaking world. This song was also used as the theme song for the bittersweet 2003 movie 向左走向右走 (Turn Left, Turn Right), which was inspired by the comic books of the Taiwanese artist Jimmy (几米). It tells the story of a man and a woman who live next to each other in the same apartment block, but find it so hard to meet. One time, they come together by chance and get on really well, and the rest of the film tells of their difficulties in getting together (although it does have a happy ending).
The characters in the video are traditional Chinese characters, and the simplified Chinese characters, pinyin pronunciation guide and English translation are below.
tīng jiàn dōng tiān de lí kāi
听见 冬天 的 离开
Hearing winter leave
wǒ zài mǒu nián mǒu yuè xǐng guòlái
我 在 某 年 某 月 醒 过来
In some month or year I wake up
wǒ xiǎng wǒ děng wǒ qī dài
我想 我等 我期待
I think, I wait, I look forward to the future
wèi lái què bù néng yīn cǐ ān pái
未来 却 不能 因此 安排
But the future can’t be arranged like that
yīntiān bàngwǎn chēchuāng wài
阴天傍晚车窗外
On a gloomy day at nightfall I look out of the car window
wèilái yǒu yī gèrén zài děngdài
未来有一个人在等待
In the future there is somebody waiting for me
xiàngzuǒ xiàngyòu xiàngqián kàn
向左向右向前看
Looking to the left, the right and to the front
ài yào guǎi jǐ gè wān cái lái
爱要拐几个弯才来
Love will have to turn some corners before it comes
wǒ yùjiàn shuí huì yǒu zěnyàng de duìbái
我遇见谁会有怎样的对白
Who will I meet, what kind of conversations will we have?
wǒděng de rén tā zài duōyuǎn de wèilái
我等的人他在多远的未来
The person I am waiting for is in the distant future
wǒ tīngjiàn fēng láizì dìtiě hé rénhǎi
我听见风来自地铁和人海
I hear the wind coming from the subway and the crowds of people
wǒ páizhe duì názhe ài de hàomǎpái
我排著队拿著爱的号码牌
I join the queue of love to wait my turn
[REPEATS]
wǒ wǎng qián fēi fēiguò yī piàn shíjiān hǎi
我往前飞飞过一片时间海
I fly forward, over the sea of time
wǒmen yě céng zài àiqíng lǐ shòu shānghài
我们也曾在爱情里受伤害
We were once hurt by love
wǒ kànzhe lù mèng de rùkǒu yọ̌udiǎn zhǎi
我看着路 梦的入口有点窄
I look at the road, the entrance to my dream is a little narrow
wǒ yùjiàn nǐ shì zuì měilì de yìwài
我遇见你是最美丽的意外
Meeting you was my most beautiful surprise
zhōng yǒu yī tiān wǒ de mídǐ huì jiēkāi
终有一天我的谜底会揭开
One day my riddle will be solved.